Sunday, October 26, 2014

October 2014

 We had another fun day at quilt club.  Unfortunately Sue was ill and unable to be with us.  Patty was also missing.  We hope that Sue gets better soon and we will all be able to attend next month.

Linda started us out with supplies to make this cute Christmas ornament.  We started out sewing contrasting circles of fabric together.  We turned them right side out,  gathered it in the middle, manipulated the fabric to make poinsettias and added a button.  Linda said she found the tutorial for these at Missouri Star Quilt company.  That is one of our favorite resources for cute, easy  patterns.



I missed the original showing of this quilt for show and tell.  This is the back-can you see the dolphin panto?
 This is the front.  The dolphin is a little bit easier to see here.  When Rhonda got this baby quilt out for show and tell, Linda effused about how gorgeous it was.  Everyone got a good giggle from that-it is Linda's quilt!  Hahaha!  It is pretty darn cute.

Linda and Rhonda had more show and tells-these ladies keep busy.  This is a Take Five Halloween pattern that Linda pieced and Rhonda quilted.  Great colors and the panto-see next picture-is adorable.
 Bats!  How cute are these?
 Rhonda was busy making bags again.  I think there are a lot of Ravens' fans who would love to own this!

Rhonda downsized a duffle bag to kids size.  It was the perfect size for kids and turned out so pretty.  I think adults would love this size too.

 And Rhonda made more pouches.  She prequilted this fabrtic herself.

Peggy made this beautiful baby afghan.  It is crocheted and just beautiful.

Rhonda showed us how we should be folding our quilts to keep them from getting permanent creases in them.  The method can be found here.  I was lax this quilt club and missed taking pictures of the actual folding.  I think I was enjoying the quilts and totally forgot!

I think this is called a Texas Braid quilt made with 30's fabric.  Rhonda got this as a kit and used it to demonstrate the folding technique.


 This lovely quilt was made with another Missouri Star Quilt Company technique which Rhonda demonstrated for us a few months ago.  I love that border-this is a really pretty quilt.

This is a Bonnie Hunter pattern-Blue Ridge Beauty-I believe we have seen this one before-  another very pretty quilt by Rhonda.

More combined effort by Linda and Rhonda.  This is Linda's wedding quilt she made for a Florida relative.  Just perfect colors, especially for our Southern friends.  

The backing was made with this beautiful batik.  I didn't get a close up picture of the quilting.  It was a feathery type pattern that added  to the beauty of this one.

I finished a hat that I was knitting.  This is my first real knitted project.  I think I am hooked.  I am working on another one already.


Last month we introduced part of our virtual show and tell-so a new tradition begins!  

Rhonda and Linda used yet another MSQC tutorial to make this receiving blanket.  This tutorial makes the border in one easy step from the backing.

This is a baby quilt I made for a friend.  It's coral, navy and gray.  The coral looks reddish on my monitor.  
 The back.  She was also going to use the mint green as an accent to the above colors, so I introduced in in the backing.

The quilt was a gift.  She hired me to make her two pairs of these lined draperies.
 And this crib skirt.  I wish I had know about these crib skirts when I needed them.  They are adjustable as you lower the mattress.  People have such clever ideas.

Our food for today was home made Tomato Tortellini soup, hot crab dip and crackers, breads and pumpkin roll.  There was also chocolate!  The food was a hit.

Here is the recipe for the crab dip.

LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP
1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells (I used 1/2 pound of imitation crab meat.)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I only used 1/4 cup of mayo.)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons minced green onions (white and green parts) (I didn't have green onions so used sweet onion.)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.
3. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups


Rhonda's soup is on her pinterest board under food.  I already repinned it!

Next month we will be getting together on the 29th and not the 22nd.  This is the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  For those of us doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt this year-we will have our first clue!

Our December meeting will be a Lancaster Shop Hop again.  That will be on December 13th.  Rhonda is already plotting out our destinations!  I can't wait!!


No comments: